Friday, February 5, 2010

Dare to Travel Abroad with only $45 in your Pocket

1998, I was invited by my friend to travel Turkey. I accepted the invitation and I flew to that country. With all the preparations that I did, it so happened there was only $US45 left in my pocket. As the plane landed at the airport, I was cuing the line up of people in the Immigration area. I was a bit scared and nervous since I only have $US45 in my Pocket and my point of entry was tourist so in my mind I was thought that they will expect that I have a lot of money but in reality it was not.

So I flew from Istanbul to Ankara were my friend and his family live. I stayed to two weeks with them. By that time the exchange rate was $1=486,000 Turkish lira so I can budget more with what I had.

During my last night and few hours that I had with them, I asked my friend; how how do I have to pay for the taxi driver from downtown of Istanbul to the airport? He said, just give him two million, I was shocked and surprised. Back in my mind, I said WOW! I am a millionaire by that time then.

Will you dare to travel with only $45 in your pocket? Hope not.

2 comments:

  1. that is a scary thought, when you are a little limited on resources. but i salute your bravery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do that again and others may follow suit and lost instead but that is really courageous. Not good for faint-hearted.

    ReplyDelete